We are at the tail end of a 'kitchen' remodel and I put it that way because it started off being just the kitchen. Knock down a wall between the kitchen and dining room, throw on some new counter tops, add a breakfast bar and voila! we're done and even under budget! Not the case at all. We live in a typical raised ranch where you walk in and all of the rooms are connected. When we decided to knock down the wall, there was even more of a cohesive feel that factored in when deciding on flooring. When we replace the flooring in the kitchen, we have to do the dining room and that's connected to the living room and that flows into the hallway and the doors in the hallway are really shabby it would be a shame to have new floors and our old gross doors...you see where this is going.
The 'kitchen' remodel turned into a whold house remodel. Not sure what I was thinking about when I thought quartz counter tops would be smashing against our cabinets. And wouldn't the old appliances look okay with the bamboo floor and quartz. Then we have to fit a backsplash in there somewhere...and fixtures for the new cabinets and lets throw in a new staircase too. Our 4 week project turned into over a two month job that is still not done and $10k over budget. So much for that Italian vacation next year.
Then there is the issue of the contractor. He was enthusiastic completing parts of the project with immense speed for the first few weeks. Now that we are nearing the end, his enthusiasm is waning and I keep getting told that he'll finish everything on the final walk through. This final walk through is going to take 4 days at this rate with all the little things left to accomplish. Then again, I think I know how he feels. When you start something and make great strides in accomplishing it, you feel as if you've done enough for now and then the procrastinator in you kicks in. I was working on a few distance learning courses this summer and spent considerable time getting down to the last few tasks. It seemed like it was no big deal even though it was weighing on my mind everyday. With the amount of stress it has caused me coupled with the stress of a remodel, moving my mother-in-law, training a new puppy, and leaving town for 3 weeks for workshops, I should have just buckled down at the beginning of the summer and completed them. So I understand how my contractor has lost steam, I just wonder, will my house ever be finished?
HOME INPROVEMENTS NEVER GO AS PLANNED IT IS ALWAYS A "MIGHT AS WELL" AND " AS LONG AS WERE DOING THIS WE SHOULD DO THAT TOO !!! "
ReplyDelete