Thursday, August 5, 2010

Does Physical Therapy work?

That's what I'm going to find out after 4 months of doctors and referrals through my wonderful HMO.  After a usual day at the gym, step class and weight lifting, my knee swelled up like a water balloon.  I didn't think much of it because it didn't even hurt.  After 2 weeks of being swollen (and not being able to jog or do stairs well anymore), I thought it might be a good idea to call the doctor.  She had me come in, gave me an Ace bandage to wrap it with and said to stay off it and ice often.  I followed doctor's orders precisely.  Two weeks later, no change.  I called the doctor again, she had me come back to the office.  She gave me the same instructions again and said to give it more time.  Three weeks later, I called again and was told a referral would be mailed to me to see an orthopedic.
    The referral took 2 weeks and the appointment another 2.  I am getting very frustrated now because being an avid exercisor, I have no outlet for my extra energy.  The orthopedic took x-rays and said everthing was fine but I might have a muscle imbalance.  He recommended I go to physical therapy twice a week for 6 weeks.  It wasn't exactly the solution I was looking for but at least is was a solution.  Then after three and a half weeks, the hospital finally got my referral. 
     I scheduled 3 weeks worth of physical therapy initially.  The first visit was just a consult to assess my knee and strength in my legs.  After that the hard work began, or so I thought.  The first few sessions we so easy, it was almost laughable and I was having doubts that this would work.  I thought, "How are these little leg lifts and squeezes going to help my knee?"
     After 2 weeks though, I have to say, my knee is feeling better and not swelling as much.  Now I'm not going to enlist in any marathons or anything, but I have high hopes for the future with this physical therapy thing.  I'll keep you posted.

1 comment:

  1. SOME OUCHIES TAKE MUCH LONGER TO HEAL THEN WE WOULD LIKE THEM TO BE .....WE WANT TO FEEL BETTER RIGHT NOW .

    ReplyDelete